Vekselberg wants to appeal sanctions order
The Renova owner said the restrictions imposed by the US are "unlawful and unfair".
Viktor Vekselberg, the owner of the Renova Group, intends to challenge the sanctions imposed on him and his companies by the US authorities.
“My stance is simple: the sanctions are unlawful and unfair and I’m going to challenge them,” Vekselberg told reporters when asked if he was negotiating with the US Treasury asking if there is any chance the sanctions could be lifted (quote by RIA Novosti).
Meanwhile, Vekselberg did not specify when exactly the claim would be filed, and to which court.
The US authorities added Vekselberg and Renova on the SDN sanctions list issued on April 6, 2018. The assets of individuals and legal entities featuring on the SDN list are blocked in the US jurisdiction, so US citizens and companies cannot do business with them. In addition, the individuals are prohibited from entering the United States. The Ministry of Finance warned it might introduce secondary sanctions on those conducting transactions in the interests or on behalf of the SDN persons.
Reuters reported on April 2018 that payroll accounts of several people working at Renova’s Swiss office and the company’s dollar accounts got blocked. In June, Forbes reported that Swiss banks, including Julius Baer, blocked about 1 billion francs in Vekselberg’s personal accounts.
With the new round of sanctions, Vekselberg started cutting his shares in a number of companies, such the Swiss companies OC Oerlikon and Schmolz+Bichenbach. In addition, after the sanctions were imposed, Renova cut its shares in the Swiss engineering company Sulzer (from 63.42% to 48.83%), the Russia-based energy company Hevel (from 51% to 46%) and the largest private heat generating company in Russia, T Plus (from 57.1% to 39.59%).
The official car of former Deputy Head of Roskomnadzor and now Deputy Head of the Department of Project Activities of the Government of the Russian Federation, Maksim Ksenzov, tried to ram two foreign cars, after which an unknown person, who jumped out of the third car, crashed the car mirrors and beat up his driver.
The owner of the Norebo Group, Vitaly Orlov, seems to be having more problems every day. No sooner had he been recognized as Russia’s richest fishing industrialist with a net worth of over $1 billion that he got bombarded with lawsuits and criminal cases. So far, they have only been coming from his former business partner. However, taking into account all the new facts that indicate some opaque business practices at best, the authorities may take some issues with the billionaire as well, since there have been discrepancies in the figures of the fish supplied abroad, the prices, and the final profit, which may indicate attempted tax avoidance.
Crimea faces storm again. Sergey Aksenov may lose his post. Perhaps, he decided to play it safe and arrange a public scandal – his appointee to the Head of the Simferopol administration post. It is believed that Igor Lukashev and his seven deputies were allegedly dismissed due to the significant number of complaints from citizens about the traffic collapse, the poor state of road maintenance and cleaning of the city. The CrimeRussia tries to find out the real reason for the resignation of the Simferopol administration.