Severe listeria outbreak hits Spain
About 80 people became infected with a deadly bacteria called listeriosis in Andalusia, southern Spain.
Packs of meatloaf called Mecha by a family-run pork business called Magrudis became the cause of a severe listeriosis outbreak in Spain, local media report.
56 people were hospitalized with two victims needing the intensive care unit, according to Periodico. 15 of the infected are pregnant women.
Listeriosis is a deadly bacterial infection that reaches the central nervous system and can cause septicemia, meningitis and encephalitis. People can get infected by ingesting vegetables, dairy products, meat and fish that is not thoroughly cooked. Pre-prepared or pre-packaged foods, certain types of cheese and processed meats are also listeria-risk foods.