People hospitalized after chemical leak on UK beach

People hospitalized after chemical leak on UK beach

Locals “got the windows closed and are locked in.”

Two people were sent to hospital after a chemical leak that left people feeling sick, vomiting and complaining of sore eyes in Worthing, UK.

The area of the incident was cordoned off with beachgoers evacuated. Locals were warned to keep to their homes and not to open windows.

“A small number of people have reported symptoms including sore eyes and vomiting, two of whom were taken to hospital. They have both since been discharged, and advised to go home, was their clothes and have a shower,” Sussex police said. “Anyone else affected is advised to do the same, and use copious amounts of water to wash your eyes.”

According to the MP for East Worthing and Shoreham,, Tim Loughton, the victims were suffering from “some sort of chemical type irritants” and that officials have launched an investigation. “We are following up a number of lines of enquiry, and the investigation into what happened is onging,” the police spokesman said.

A Coast Café employee said that “they’ve cleared the seafront and we’ve got the windows closed and are locked in,” The Guardian writes.

The police have since then lifted all of the cordons and opened the seafront to the public.

“Emergency services are standing down following a hazardous material incident in Worthing,” the police spokesman said. “The decision was made following a full assessment by West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and partner agencies.”

Discuss

Recommended

1 / 3