Teenager dies in Ulan-Ude, possible victim of police brutality 

Teenager dies in Ulan-Ude, possible victim of police brutality
Nikita Kobelev

A 17-year-old teenager died under mysterious circumstances in Ulan-Ude. Shortly before that, he was detained by the local police. He and his friend allegedly stole a bicycle.

The news that the police are suspected of killing 17-year-old Nikita Kobelev has been all over the media in Russia. The Investigative Committee opened a criminal case, while relatives and friends of the deceased were about to stage a riot in Ulan-Ude. The Commissioner for Children's Rights Pavel Astakhov promised to find and punish those responsible.


Everything happened on June 8, in the Arshan neighborhood of Ulan-Ude. There is even a video on Youtube, showing the detention of two teenagers - 17-year-old Nikita Kobelev and 18-year-old Dmitry Tutynin. The events in the video look more like a covert operation involving Special Forces, who hunt for dangerous criminals. First, two cars stop near a grocery store, several people get out - two men in uniforms and masks and four in civilian clothes. They run past the bewildered saleswoman, and a few minutes later bring out two teenagers with hands behind their backs, the guys do not even resist the law enforcers. Then the teenagers are seated in different cars.

Photo1: Police cars near the shop Photo2: The arrest looks more like a covert operation involving Special Forces Photo3: Footage of the arrest
Подпись к фото Photo: Internet open sources
1 / 3

Nobody, except the police, knows what happened next. But later Tutynin would tell reporters that he was put on the floor of the car and pinned down. Then they brought him in some basement, where they were beating him for a few hours, offering to plead guilty in a number of burglaries and break-ins. Despite the fact that initially he was accused only of stealing a bicycle.

Sadistic torture

Dmitry Tutynin said that the policemen acted in accordance with their typical line of interrogation. They suffocated him, put a gas mask and blocked the access of oxygen, beat him with a truncheon on the soles of his feet. Then they drove him to the Sovetsky police department, and later - to the police department at the railway station. In the end, Tutynin was taken to the drug clinic – traces of psychotropic substances had allegedly been found in his blood. The next day, on June 9, he was taken to court, where he was accused of drug use. The court even specified how and where exactly he had done that - "by smoking in the period from May 28 to June 2 at the Bazarov square." The teenager was sentenced to a fine of 4000 rubles and released.

It is worth noting that Dmitry's mother, Marina, had been searching for her son all that time. She called every police department but help was nowhere to be found.

Mysterious death

Only God and the police knows what happened with Nikita. But the fact remains that two hours after a heavy-handed detention in the grocery, the teenager was brought to the Semashko Republican clinical hospital. The police were the ones who delivered him. Soon, Kobelev died. Although the exact time of death remains unclear as well.

On June 9, the Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Buryatia announced that the teenager got sick in the car.

"He started vomiting. He died in the medical facility. The preliminary cause of death is asphyxia through vomit mass," the ministry said in the statement.

It is mentioned in the same press release that Nikita was not brought to the hospital by those police officers who had detained him. Another police group, which happened to be in the Komsomolskaya Street, saw the boy lying on the pavement and picked him up. If so, the question is as follows - how the press service learned that the boy had got sick in the car? After all, only those who had detained him could tell that kind of information.

Having started the inspection, the investigative committee said that the boy had already been dead by the time he had been delivered to the hospital. However, his family received a report that Nikita had been found dead in the street.

Who is in the right?

Dmitry Tutynin’s relatives refute narcological tests. He retook them and no drugs were found this time. Besides, the teenager recorded the beatings and wrote a complaint to the prosecutor’s office.

Nikita Kobelev’s relatives arrived at the identification and found sign of torture and beatings on the body of their son. Now they are intent on finding and punishing the perpetrators.

It is worth noting that the whole city mourns Nikita - his friends almost staged a riot in Ulan-Ude.

This story contains multiple inconsistencies. Looks like the police are deliberately trying to complicate the matter and avoid punishment. The Investigative Unit for Zheleznodorozhny district of the Russian Investigative Committee department in the Republic of Buryatia will have to get to the bottom of this. Therehavealreadyopenedacriminalcaseintomurder.

"The investigation is currently underway to determine the perpetrators of crimes. Forensic examination has been requested to establish the cause of death. The investigation will carefully check all the circumstances and theories regarding this tragedy," the local investigative department stated. The criminal are facing 6 to 15 years in prison.

Video: police brutality in Buryatia



1 / 3