Navalny: Kirovles case must be closed for lack of evidence
On his blog, Aleksey Navalny commented on the Russian Supreme Court’s decision to reconsider the case of embezzlement from the Kirov’s state company Kirovles. The case was sent for another trial in light of new circumstances as ruled by the European Court of Human Rights.
"On the very first day of the trial I said all charges would be dropped, because the whole case is forgery and fabrication from beginning to end. It took three years and one month, but it happened nevertheless. The Supreme Court just could not ignore our support in the ECHR", Navalny said.
However, the opposition leader said that he was not at all content with the Supreme Court's decision. "I believe that the Supreme Court has not enforced the ECHR’s decision after all. They had to close the case for lack of evidence. Instead, they sent the case for retrial to the Kirov’s Leninsky District Court. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go there”, Navalny said. “Although, actually, it was clear that the Kremlin would try to “enforce” the ECHR’s decision in such a way that would put me in as much inconvenience as possible. We are going to appeal against the Supreme Court’s decision in the Council of Europe’s Committee of Ministers that tries cases of noncompliance with the ECHR’s verdicts".
Earlier it had been reported that Aleksey Navalny had turned to the Supreme Court with an appeal for retrial of the Kirovles case in accordance with the verdict by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which entered into force on July 5.
In July, the ECHR told the Russian Government it would not pass the Kirovles case to the Grand Chamber of the Court. Earlier, the ECHR had established that in 2013, when the Kirovles case was being tried, the rights of fair hearing Navalny and Ofitserov were violated, and ordered the Russian authorities to pay them a compensation of 80 thousand euros.
On July 18, 2013, the Kirov Leninsky Court sentenced Navalny to a five years imprisonment on charges of embezzlement from Kirovles Company. Another defendant Ofitserov was sentenced to four years. Both were taken into custody from the courtroom, but the next day the defendants were released on bail until the sentence would come into force. Later, the Kirov Regional Court altered the sentence to both defendants replacing the real sentence with a suspended one and a fine of 500 thousand rubles.
According to sources close to the Prosecutor’s Office of the Noginsk District of the Moscow Region, law enforcement authorities have recently launched an inquest against 27-year-old Anton Manegin, co-owner of Timokhovo landfill site and son of its General Director Konstantin Manegin, on suspicion of complicity in siphoning off funds via a network of contractors.
Private Security Company (PSC) Graps-2, whose employees provoked a conflict with the guards of billionaire Gavril Yushvaev in Moscow City, is managed by the second co-owner of Oko tower, Vladislav Doronin.
Lawyer Damir Gainutdinov from Agora asks for recommendation to the Russian Federation Government "to refrain from expanding the practice of arbitrary interference in the right to freedom of expression, privacy and anonymity, including online."