Man who criticized Chechen authorities says MIA officers forced him to flee
Apti Alaudinov warned Dzhalaldinov that "he would suffer the same fate as the Yamadayevs, human rights activist Natalia Estemirova and Boris Nemtsov, if he continued bringing up his village’s issues."
Ramazan Dzhalaldinov from Avar Kenhi village in Chechnya, who had been missing until recently, contacted the human rights activist Svetlana Gannushkina, who then wrote on Facebook that Dzhalaldinov was alright and that he asked not to look for him.
Dzhalaldinov said he had been forced to leave the Chechen Republic after the MIA First Deputy Head Apti Alaudinov warned that "he would suffer the same fate as the Yamadayevs, the human rights activist Natalia Estemirova and Boris Nemtsov, if he continued bringing up his village’s issues."
Besides, the Kenhi resident said that the MIA Deputy Head had taken away his passport and that of his son’s, as well as his phone that he took and threw into an abyss. This happened on November 2, when he and his wife were taken to Grozny. However, he managed to get out of the enclosed village unnoticed, a villager said, and moved through the Chentyk pass right to Dagestan.
We should remind, that in the spring Dzhalaldinov recorded a video appeal to the Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Prosecutor General Yury Chaika, which criticized the authorities of the Republic. In particular, he said the local officials were cutting compensations the residents were supposed to have for their war-destroyed houses and were paying irregular salaries to state employees.
Some time after the appeal, on May 13, a few masked men burned Dzhalaldinov’s house down forcing his family into a car and taking them to the river to leave under a bridge.
It should be noted that the Head of Chechnya commented the incident saying the villager burned his house himself to cast a negative shadow onto the local authorities. In May Dzhalaldinov apologized to Kadyrov and his family moved back to Kenhi.