Fire in tent camp in Khabarovsk region started by T-shirt on heater

Fire in tent camp in Khabarovsk region started by T-shirt on heater
The heater Photo: Social networks

The camp organizers had no right to open it at all; they did not have permission, the authorities said.

Certain details have become known about the fire in the Kholdomi tent camp in the Khabarovsk region. According to preliminary data, the fire broke out in the ‘women's tent’ No. 16, where one of the girls had left a wet t-shirt on a heater. After some time, the clothing caught fire, and the fire quickly spread through the entire camp. 

Most of the victims were in that tent. Sofia Valova hung her T-shirt to dry on the heater. 

According to the latest reports, a total of 11 people have been injured; five of them are activity counselors, and the rest are children. Three children are in intensive care. 

In turn, regional authorities stated that the tent camp was not suitable for use at all. The camp management told the commission, which had come with an inspection a few days ago, that it did not admit children for a while, Ombudsman for Children’s Rights in the Khabarovsk region, Viktoria Tregubenko, told Life Shot. 

According to her, responsibility rests entirely with the adults who decided to “play a game called campground.” 

“Heating of camping sites with heaters in outside the standards! Especially electric. If it’s a camping site, then it should be equipped, children should have appropriate equipment for the night, including sleeping bags and warm clothes,” Tregubenko stressed.

Discuss

Recommended

1 / 3