Court finds initial arrest of Anna Pavlikova in case of Novoye Velichiye groundless

Court finds initial arrest of Anna Pavlikova in case of Novoye Velichiye groundless
Anna Pavlikova

The investigation did not provide evidence that the suspect could escape or somehow influence the course of the case.

The Moscow City Court overturned the ruling of the Dorogomilovsky District Court of March 16 about taking Anna Pavlikova, one of the defendants in the case of Novoye Velichiye (New Greatness), into custody, lawyer Olga Karlova told Mediazona.

Karlova explained that in its decision the Moscow City Court essentially repeated the wording of the Supreme Court. On August 9, the latter ruled to reconsider Pavlikova’s complaint in the presidium of the Moscow City Court.

The Supreme Court concluded that the investigation, asking to send Pavlikova to a pre0trial detention facility, did not provide evidence that she could hide or somehow influence the course of the case. The Supreme Court considered the ruling to take the suspect into custody groundless.

Pavlikova was released from the detention facility and placed under house arrest on August 16 after the Mothers’ March that was held in Moscow in support of the defendants in the case of New Greatness. Four defendants, two of whom – Vyacheslav Kryukov and Ruslan Kostylenkov – are on a hunger strike, are still in the pre-trial detention facility.

The case of Novoye Velichiye

The New Greatness movement has grown out of a Telegram chat, which the activists created after the failed ‘revolution’ on November 5, 2017 announced by nationalist Vyacheslav Maltsev. The participants in the chat discussed political news, and then began to meet in a cafe. In December 2017, they held a series of constituent assemblies in a room rented by Ruslan D. in the business center at the Bratislavskaya metro station, and then continued to meet there regularly on Sundays and discuss the actions being prepared by other organizations and plan their own.

The stories of the persons of interest about the role of each of them differ, but they all call Kostylenkov the leader of movement. At the meetings, the activists decided to create several divisions and distribute the work among themselves: for example, Maxim Roshchin headed the information department (Kostylenkov appointed Anna Pavlikova there) and Sergey Gavrilov worked on the financial issues. Peter Karamzin headed the legal department, and Dubovik was responsible for recruiting.

Several times Kostylenkov arranged trips to Khotkovo to teach the activists to mix Molotov cocktails and later – shoot a gun. The first such trip took place in December – then, on the territory of an abandoned hospital, the activists learned to make an incendiary mixture and throw bottles at targets. Many defendants said they decided not to go to Khotkovo; Vyacheslav Kryukov, Anna Pavlikova, Maxim Roshchin and Dmitry Poletaev were among those who joined the training. During interrogations, Pavlikova and Poletaev said they had gone to Khotkovo out of interest. Rustam Rustamov, a compatriot and acquaintance of Kostylenkov, was among the defendants precisely because he was present at these trips. In February, Kostylenkov came to Khotkovo twice with colleagues to shoot from a carbine, but of all the activists of the movement, only Pavlikova and Roshchin decided to participate in only one such training. Then, Pavlikova and Sergey Gavrilov went for another training session, probably the last one, on handling the incendiary mixture, follows from the materials.

During the investigation, the defendants themselves said that they had discussed politics, spread flyers and participated in protest actions, mostly in sanctioned ones. During the first interrogations, all the detainees, except for Kostylenkov, said that they did not aim at overthrowing the authorities, and did not believe that this was possible.

All persons involved in the case of New Greatness were detained a few days before the presidential election, March  15.



1 / 3