Marat Oganesyan may be released from custody this week
Lawyers of the official, who is accused of embezzlement during the construction of the Zenit Arena, point out a mistake to the court.
The St. Petersburg City Court will consider an appeal against the decision of the Smolninskiy District Court on the arrest of former Vice-Governor Marat Oganesyan. The claim of Oganesyan’s lawyers, who is accused of swindling in the construction of Zenit Arena, will be considered on Wednesday, December 7th.
As Rosbalt reported, lawyers of ex-official German Lukyanov and Mikhail Gurev found a grave mistake in the decision of the district court. Recall, on November 18 Smolninskiy District Court placed Oganesyan under arrest for two months until 15 January 2017. However, as indicated by the protection, the term of a preliminary investigation expires this Friday, 9 December. In their view, this means that the municipal court is obliged to reduce the detention period until December 9th.
The lawyer of the Moscow Bar Association, Alexander Zubovsky, said that it is quite a complex matter and the prosecution has every reason to keep the defendant in custody. However, there is a court‘s mistake and it is not yet known whether the court recognizes its mistake. Zubovsky said that in his practice there have been cases when in the course of the proceedings the decisions taken by the court were not valid.
Recall, Marat Oganesyan is accused of especially large-scale Swindling (part 4, Art. 159 of the Criminal Code). According to investigators, the ex-official, who oversaw the construction of the stadium Zenit Arena from 2013 to 2015, illegally attracted Stock Company TDM as a sub-contractor for the construction work, and then transferred it the amount of more than 50 million rubles as advance, which was withdrawned through short-lived companies. The suspect was arrested on November 16 in Moscow and then transported to St. Petersburg. Currently, Oganesyan is placed in Kresty pre-trial detention center.
Last year's wave of governors' resignations, which temporary termination was announced in November 2017 by Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak, will resume soon after March 18. The CrimeRussia figures out who will lose governor's seat.
Viktor Trutnev is accused of complicity in the transfer of a bribe in the amount of $70.000 to law enforcement officials to "resolve the issue of termination of the criminal case" instituted against Transeco CEO Yuri Kornilov.