New suspects under Renova case
New suspects may be involved in the high-profile criminal case against the co-owner of Renova Evgeny Olkhovik and the Head of Renova’s subsidiary T-plus Boris Vainzikher.
The investigation found new details involving other suspects into the Renova case. This is why the case has been transferred from the Komi Investigative Committee to the central office of the Investigative Committee and the defendants have been escorted to Moscow. According to the Kommersant, the investigators seized documents that give a reason to believe that the defendants had accomplices.
Earlier, the Renova co-owner Evgeniy Olkhovik and the T-plus (part of Renova) CEO Boris Vainzikher were accused of giving a bribe of 800 million rubles to the former Governor of Komi Vyacheslav Gaizer (Art. 291 of the Criminal Code). They were detained on September 5, 2016 by the Federal Security Service after company was searched. Another person involved in the Renova case, the Vimpelkom’s ex-CEO Mikhail Slobodin is wanted. Currently, he is presumed to be abroad. The fact of the case being transferred to the ICR central office surfaced on September 23.
According to the Kommersant, the investigation may have some questions for the owner of Renova Viktor Vekselberg. However, there is no official confirmation of this information at the moment. Earlier, the media had assumed a possible consolidation of the case against Vyacheslav Gaizer who is accused of swindling and organizing a criminal network with the Renova case. However, according to the Kommersant sources, no consolidation is going to happen yet and both the investigations will be conducted separately. Interestingly, the former high-ranking officials of the Republic of Komi had been questioned under the Renova case as witnesses in the Lefortovo pre-trial detention center, where Evgeny Olkhovik and Boris Vainzikher were moved.
Igor Kopenkin, the lawyer of Aleksey Chernov, Gaizer’s former deputy, said that his client had indeed been questioned under the case against Olkhovik, Vainzikher and Slobodin. According to Kopenkin, when being interrogated, Chernov said he did not have any relations with the defendants other than business-related.
The Kommersant sources claim Gaizer’s case will be filed first, and after it is submitted, another case might be initiated, this time against the former head of the Komi Republic and former officials, for taking bribes from Renova managers.
Despite the fact that 2 years have passed since the criminal disassembly that turned into a slaughterhouse, the exact picture of what happened at the Elements restaurant on December 14, 2015, is still uncertain. The investigation of criminal cases and a whole series of major detentions, which entailed events of that evening, continue to this day. None of those who were involved in extortion, shoot-out and the protection of criminals has not yet been convicted. The CrimeRussia reconstructs the chronicle of the events of that day on the information available in the public domain and video recordings from CCTV cameras.
In the request sent by the Dozhd TV channel, there were no documents confirming violations committed by deputy Alexey Yezubov, said Natalya Poklonskaya, the head of the State Duma's commission for the control of declarations.