Kirov ex-Governor Nikita Belykh faces new charges
His lawyer believes that the new incident shows the case against Belykh is falling apart.
A new criminal case has been opened against Nikita Belykh, the former Governor of the Kirov region, TASS reported referring to the judge of the Moscow Basmanny Court. According to the judge, the new case was initiated under part 6 of Art. 290 of the Criminal Code (Bribe-Taking on an especially large scale). The case was initiated on March 9, but it is only now that the reports came. It is now a joint case.
Andrey Grokhotov representing the ex-Governor in court said the information on the "supposedly new incident" came back in September 2016. The counselor believes that the new episode shows the case against Belykh is falling apart as his custody term is almost over. Grokhotov also said that the defendants of the new case are now in jail.
We should remind that Nikita Belykh was detained last June at restaurant in Lotte Plaza mall on Novy Arbat Street, in the act of receiving marked cash worth 100 thousand euros. According to investigators, the cash was only a part of a bribe of 400 thousand euros the Governor was going to get for his patronage of two commercial structures: Novovyatsky Lyzhny Kombinat JSC and Lesohozyaystvennaya Upravlyatushchaya Kompaniya LLC, as well as "for connivance in the career while the Kirov region was overseeing enterprises implementing investment projects and conducting business in the region." Belykh pleaded not guilty.
German citizen Yuri Zudheimer, member of the board of Novovyatsky Lyzhny Kombinat, was mediator in the transfer of the bribe and is now a witness in the case.
The prosecution has replaced life sentence for Lieutenant of the Federal Security Service (FSB) Aleksey Korotkov with 24 years behind bars in exchange for his support to the investigation: in particular, exposure of other gang’s members who had been dealing with murders of businessmen and random people for more than 10 years.