Court refused to re-examine case of seizure of Khoroshavin’s property
Former Sakhalin Governor Aleksandr Khoroshavin is persisted in his attempt to return over 1 billion rubles ($17.4 million) of unknown origin.
The Sakhalin Regional Court has refused to resume proceedings in the civil case over the seizure of property from the family of ex-Governor of the region Aleksandr Khoroshavin worth 1.1 billion rubles ($19.1 million). As reported by his lawyer Olga Artyukhova to TASS.
Earlier, the lawyers had asked to account for the “newly discovered circumstances.” For example, the explanation of the Constitutional Court about the complaint that the Khoroshavins family filed in November 2016 in response to the decisions of the Sakhalin court, which violated the constitutional rights of the former governor, the lawyers believe.
May 20 last year, the court of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk allowed the claim of the Prosecutor General’s Office on the confiscation of property of the Khoroshavins family for 1.1 billion rubles. It included apartments in Moscow, a house on Rublevskoe Highway, money and jewelry. The supervisory authority’s lawsuit was related to the fact that he property was not declared, violating the requirements of the law ‘On Control over the Conformity of Expenditures of Persons Replacing Public Positions and Other Persons to Their Incomes,” which came into force in 2012.
At the same time, as Artyukhova noted, jewelry, money and watches should not be seized as unregistered property. She also stressed that it is necessary to conduct a pre-trial procedure of revenue control.
According to her, the defense intends to appeal this decision of the Sakhalin Regional Court.
In late April 2017, Prosecutor General Yuri Chaika said that illegally acquired property worth 1.8 billion rubles ($31.3 million) was seized from the former governor of Sakhalin. Motivating its decision, the court reported that “after acquiring and owning property worth over 1.8 million rubles, the defendants did not provide any valid and reliable evidence confirming the acquisition of property of such amount.”
Let us recall that Khoroshavin was detained on March 3, 2015. A criminal case over receiving a bribe exceeding $5.6 million was initiated against him. March 25, President of Russia dismissed Khoroshavin from the post of governor in connection with the loss of confidence. April 27, 2015, the second criminal case was initiated against the former governor, this time, over a bribe of 15 million rubles ($261 thousand).
March 6, 2017, the court of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk began proceedings in the criminal case against Khoroshavin and his former subordinates, ex-Deputy Sergey Karepkin, ex-Adviser Andrey Ikramov, and ex-Minister of Agriculture, Trade and Food of the Sakhalin Region Nikolay Borisov. The defendants are charged with part 5 and 6 of Art. 290, Art. 174.1 of the Russian Criminal Code (Bribe-Taking, Legalization of Money Received as a Result of Committing a Crime). According to the investigation, the total amount of bribes is about 522 million rubles ($9 million).
The Kremlin was told that they use Telegram for internal communications. However, if it is blocked, the staff of the Presidential Administration is ready to switch to another messenger, said Dmitry Peskov.
Deputy of Izhevsk Zakhar Milostivenko was detained the day before on suspicion of "restricting competition". Sources clarify that the case of the parliamentarian is connected with the criminal case of Alexander Soloviev, accused of multimillion bribes.